More coverage from the Rocky Mountain Information Security Conference (RMISC) conference a couple weeks ago! Michael Wright, of Nelnet, delivered his presentation From the Server Room to the Board Room where he shared various career paths of doers to the C-Suite. He discussed how you can Lead Yourself, Lead Others and Lead the Business with the following 3 axioms:
1. You aren't a leader if you don't have followers.
2. You don't have to be a manager to be a leader.
3. Your followers don't need to report to you.
He also reminded us to exhibit Executive Level Decision Making:
- Your team is not always first
- Be Visible
- Speak the Language
And to establish relationships with Senior Leaders:
* Find common ground
* Be a mentor/mentee
* And show vulnerability without deference